Friday, February 22, 2013

Week 5, JSB

Hi friends!

Okay this week, I'm finally getting this up on Friday, not Wednesday. So sorry. We are moving and I'm going crazy. More on that on my other blog soon enough!! But back to the study...

Can you believe we are already on WEEK 5 of this study!!? Have you been enjoying this simplified version of God's words? I hope so. In my face-to-face 101 Wed. study, we are on Week 11, with only one more to go of this book. I've loved it so much, and in each week's preparation, I find new things about which I'm so excited to share.

Well, here are some of my thoughts as I worked through the Week 4 questions.

In thinking about question 1, I was reminded of our recent election and the things mankind looks for in a leader. So much revolves around appearance, smooth speech, and popularity. But David was the least in his family, and God chose him based on his heart. I wonder if we'd make different choices in politics if we could see people's hearts like God can.  

I wrote question #2 with a post in mind that I wrote a while ago. The whole notion of David running out to meet Goliath really strikes me when I apply it in a metaphorical sense to my own life's "giants" and how I deal with them. Anyway, I shared a lot of thoughts on the subject here.

David's story has so much redemption in it. Did you happen to do some further reading on his life? Well, I wanted to share this passage in Isaiah with you because it speaks to me of the way God worked in David's life, how He alone can turn the messes we've made or the hurts we have sustained into something healed and lovely. Isaiah 61:1-4 says:

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
2 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.

4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.

Isn't it so beautiful? I love the idea of God trading our ashes and replacing them with beauty. That is what He is all about, and bringing us closer to Himself in the process. Our times of greatest pain are when our hearts can be most open to His voice. I pray these truths speak to your heart today, friends.

Here is the HW for next week! Have a good weekend.

*  *  *

Week 5
Chapters 17-21, to page 175

1. Read 2 Kings 5:10. What EXACTLY did Elisha the prophet tell Namaan to do? Think about that. Now, WHY would God require this seemingly unnecessary repetition when we know He could have healed Namaan with one dip in the water? As a reader of this story hundreds of years later, what does this tell you about the relationship between repetition and healing?

2. The next chapter we learn about talks about Isaiah the prophet. There were many prophets, but Isaiah is my favorite. Some of the chapters contain my favorite passages in the whole Bible. Read Isaiah chapters 40 and 41 in your spare time on a quiet morning or evening. You may recognize many famous verses in those chapters. Write down a few that speak to you personally.

3. Daniel is another very long and complex book of prophecy. But it also includes the wonderful story of his time in the lions’ den. What is one lesson we can learn from this story when we are persecuted for our faith?

4. Next we come to poor, rebellious little Jonah. Share at least one of the following:

·         A time when you knew the obedient choice, but went the other way

·         A time when you felt angry and unforgiving to someone who didn’t deserve forgiveness

·         A time when God saved you from worse consequences than you deserved

5. Knowing God’s standards is meant to bring conviction which leads to repentance and receiving forgiveness. But often, we take it a step further and let in guilt. Guilt is NEVER God’s plan for us. Guilt keeps us stuck and sorry, instead of joyful and hopeful that we are forgiven and have the power to change. Take a minute to pray, like God’s people did in Nehemiah chapter 9. Confess your tendency to wallow in guilt and forget about God’s huge love and forgiveness. Ask Him to teach you the healthy way to deal with your mistakes, and tell Him about your desire to follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment