Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Week 1, JSB

The first book we'll be reading together is the Jesus Storybook Bible. Yes, it is a children's Bible, and it is amazing. It will help us remember that God asks us to have faith like a child. And because I know most of you already have it or have purchased it, I will get right down to business.


Here is the assignment for Week 1:

Read Chapters 1-3 through page 36 (wait, go to the Table of Contents and NUMBER those chapters first).

Then, in your notebook, answer these questions.

1. List three impressions or feelings you already had about the Bible, either positive or negative.

2. So now that we know we will learn how the Bible is one big story, name one way you hope that this story may help you in your own personal story.

3. When Adam and Eve ate the fruit in the garden, they allowed a terrible lie to come into the hearts of mankind: God doesn’t love me. Describe a time in your life when you doubted that God saw or cared for you. How did you feel?

4. God didn’t want them to eat the fruit because He knew Adam and Eve would then think they knew everything. This is the definition of pride, thinking we know better than God does, living our own way. God knew we would stop trusting Him, and He knew what would happen in our hearts. Fear and control can set in when faith is absent. Describe a situation where you struggled with fear and/or control. If you had trusted God at the time, how might things have changed (even if only in your heart)?

5. Reread page 36. End your time by telling God in your heart or on paper how you feel about the story so far. Have you been running from Him? Do you miss Him? Are you needing to be rescued with His Never-Stopping Love?

Next Wednesday, I will review what we learned in those first few chapters, I hope you'll share some answers to your questions, and I'll give you the next reading assignment.

Sound good? This all making sense? I hope so.

Have a great day, friends. Love that we're doing this together.

3 comments:

  1. Makes sense ;) Finished week 1 already, but still pondering questions 4 & 5. Thank you for this study!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just finished crying my way through week ones reading and study questions! before reading this bible I always felt that the old testament was hard to understand & slightly irrelevant because of Jesus coming & the new covenant. but this jsb helped me see that all of the old testament is preparing the way & telling the story until jesus comes. I love that it keeps pointing to God's love. His love for us is so powerful that he came himself to rescue us!

    My hope is that this study will help me better comprehend God's love story so that I cannot help his love from overflowing out of my life & onto the lives of others.

    my husband & I are foster-adoptive parents in ca and when our foster sons (who we are set to adopt) birth mom came into the picture I reacted with fear & defensiveness. ONLY by the love and grace of god did my heart soften & allowed me to love as Jesus would & trust in God's plan for our family. I regret all those months spent in fear because when I'm living in fear its impossible for me to live in love. putting my trust in HIS love for me and my son has given me supernatural peace & grace.

    excited to dive into this study with leslie & all the rest of you!
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for dong this! i have often been embarrassed because i dont know many classic bible stories...often fearful of not understanding them or keeping them all straight. so i am excited to learn the great story! and knowing better how to apply it to my own walk with Him.
    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete